Tag: vilification

South Sudanese Australians and Andrew Gaze condemn ‘prejudicial’ axing of basketball event | Australia news | The Guardian

NBA player Thon Maker, who played in the Summer Slam basketball tournament as a junior.

Media generated racism and collective punishment isn’t this a case of vilification against the media and the local council? (ODT)

via South Sudanese Australians and Andrew Gaze condemn ‘prejudicial’ axing of basketball event | Australia news | The Guardian

News Corp Australia’s promotion of Lauren Southern is disturbing | Jason Wilson | Australia news | The Guardian

Canadian far-right political activist Lauren Southern at the Courier-Mail office in Brisbane on 13 July.

Southern’s far-right associations, her promotion of the key ideas of white ethnonationalism, and her willingness to become directly involved in racial provocation should give us pause.

So, too, should the willingness of News Corporation’s daily newspapers to promote her.

Perhaps it’s no surprise that Andrew Bolt railed about her visa problems. Nor that Miranda Devine had Southern on her podcast to talk about how antifa and Muslims cause her immigration woes.

But earlier puff pieces about her visit, and op-eds defending her in regional newspapers, suggest that News has a disturbing inability to distinguish between ordinary, conservative provocateurs, and those adjacent to white nationalist or fascist movements.

This fits with a pattern on the Australian right. Nevertheless, should News later condemn those who protest against Southern’s appearances, we should remember their role in defending Southern, and advertising her shows.

via News Corp Australia’s promotion of Lauren Southern is disturbing | Jason Wilson | Australia news | The Guardian

If you’re Palestinian in Israel, satire can land you in jail | Andrew Bolt would have been jailed long ago for vilification

Anas Abudaabes was arrested last week for publishing a satirical Facebook post criticizing Arabs who celebrated the wildfires raging across Israel. Three separate judges claimed he was inciting to violence. By John Brown* The Be’er Sheva District Court rejected an appeal on the detention of Bedouin journalist Anas Abudaabes on Sunday, after he was arrested last week over a Facebook post. The police, which claimed the post incited people to commit arson in the wake of the current wildfires blazing across Israel, decided to release Abudaabes from detention under restrictive bail conditions. [tmwinpost] Despite the stated reasons for his arrest, Abudaabes’…

Source: If you’re Palestinian in Israel, satire can land you in jail | +972 Magazine

Don’t call me oppressed because I’m an Arab woman. It denies me the right to my own experience | Randa Kattan | Comment is free | The Guardian

arab women

Don’t call me oppressed because I’m an Arab woman. It denies me the right to my own experience | Randa Kattan | Comment is free | The Guardian.

Police taking care to say that anti-terrorism operations were to do with criminality, not religion. Andrew Bolt isn’t taking the police line

Victoria police deputy commissioner Graham Ashton

Family of Abdul Numan Haider have been sent death threats, police say

Police condemn threats and say family of teenager shot dead by police in Melbourne must be ‘left alone to grieve’

There is increasing concern about a backlash against Muslim Australians, with police taking care to say that anti-terrorism operations were to do with criminality, not religion. RacistIslamic leaders have also been upset at some media coverage of recent events.

The treasurer of the Islamic Council of Victoria, Eugenia Flynn, said the anti-Muslim incidents “run the gamut from verbal abuse on the street right through vandalising of property, vehicles and then to actual assaults, physical assaults.’

She said the council was encouraging people to report any incident to police.

How to justify $650Mill, Abbott “we have no specific intel” Murdoch “Biggest Terrorist Raid IN History” This is a recruiting excercise.

Live blog: Hundreds of police mount anti-terrorism raids in Sydney and Brisbane

Updated 10 minutes agoThu 18 Sep 2014, 8:14am

Police have raided dozens of homes in Sydney and Brisbane as part of the largest counter-terrorism operation in Australian history.

The joint operation between local police, the Australian Federal Police and ASIO involves hundreds of officers and at least a dozen people have been arrested in Sydney.

Similar raids took place in Brisbane but police said it was too early to say if anyone had been arrested.

Keep up to date with the latest developments on our live blog.

ASIO and hundreds of police raid Sydney and Brisbane homes in biggest counter-terrorism raid in Australia’s history

ASIO and hundreds of police raid Sydney and Brisbane homes in biggest counter-terrorism raid in Australia’s history

ASIO and police swoop in terrorism raid

ASIO and police swoop in terrorism raid

ASIO and counter terrorism police have swooped on homes across Brisbane’s south and in Sydney this morning in what is believed to be the largest anti-terrorism bust in the nation’s history.

Several arrests have been made in the secret pre-dawn raids in Sydney but the Courier Mail understands there have been no arrests in Brisbane thus far.

Hundreds of police executed search warrants in Logan, Underwood and Mt Gravatt East along with the Sydney suburbs of Beecroft, Bellavista, Guildford, Merrylands, Northmead, Wentworthville, Marsfield, Westmead, Castle Hill, Revesby, Bass Hill and Regents Park.

Police arrest a man in Guilford this morning.

Police arrest a man in Guilford this morning.

The raid is believed to have been mounted following months of surveillance of people linked to the terrorist group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

The Courier Mail has learned that an estimated 600 officers from the Australian Federal Police, state counter terrorism units and ASIO launched the pre-emptive strike in the early hours of this morning.

The raids and arrests are believed to have been based on the execution of multiple ASIO and AFP warrants.

It is believed that dozens of suspects have been netted, with links to a Brisbane man who was recently arrested on suspected terrorism related charges.

It is believed that a terrorist network had been planning to carry out a series of attacks in Australia.

Another man is arrested in Guilford.

Another man is arrested in Guilford.

Last week, Brisbane man Omar Succarieh, 31, was arrested and charged with terrorism-related offences following a series of raids.

He’s accused of fundraising for Syria-based extremist group Jabhat al-Nusra and helping another man, Agim Kruezi, obtain funds to fight for a terror organisation overseas.

OMAR SUCCARIEH: Bail application to be heard today

TERROR RAID: Accused ‘misses his kids’

Succarieh, who is due to apply for bail in court on Thursday, is believed to be the brother of Ahmed Succarieh, who reportedly became Australia’s first suicide bomber in Syria last year.

Logan man Kruezi, 22, has alleged links to the Islamic State group.

The raid follows the lifting of the national security alert level from medium to high last Friday by the outgoing director general of ASIO David Irvine.

One of the detainees with police this morning.

One of the detained men in the pre-dawn raids in Sydney.

It is believed the size of the raid eclipsed that of Operation Pendennis in 2005 when several hundred ASIO, AFP and NSW police arrested 13 men across Melbourne and the Sydney suburb of Bankstown, who had been planning bomb attacks in both capitals.

In Brisbane, a double story house on Creek Road, Mount Gravatt East, was among the properties raided.

One neighbour said he had lived near the family, who he described as “Middle Eastern” for more than 20 years but had rarely communicated with them.

The man said he had only heard dogs barking during the morning raid.

A number of Australian Federal Police officers remain at the address.

It has not yet been confirmed whether any arrests have been made.

An AFP spokesperson said further updates would be provided later on Thursday.

Senior government ministers were unable to shed more light on the raids, but praised the work of authorities.

“I note the security agencies, the Police, ASIO are working hard to ensure that we are safe,” Coalition frontbencher Malcolm Turnbull told ABC radio this morning.

“Our security is the consequence of continued vigilance and hard work on the part of the security agencies.

Police at the scene of a raid at Mt Gravatt East.

Police at the scene of a raid at Mt Gravatt East.

“There is no cause for being complacent about security.

“There are people, regrettably some of them in our midst, that don’t have the nation’s best interest at heart.”

Speaking ahead of this weekend’s G20 Finance Minister’s meeting in Cairns, Joe Hockey said he had confidence in the security measures in place.

“Everyone needs to make sure that with an increased threat level associated with potential terrorist attacks in Australia we have all the necessary precautions taken for both the G20 here in Cairns and also in Brisbane,” the Treasurer told Sunrise.

“But, I am very confident that all bases are covered.

“We have put a lot of effort into this for a long period of time.”

There are about 60 Australians believed to be fighting in Iraq and Syria with groups such as Islamic State, while another 100 are suspected of providing support from Australia.

Originally published as Hundreds of police in terror raids